The Blog

I-Team Investigates Surgical fires

i Mar 3rd No Comments by

Fourteen years after my mother was burned during a Tracheotomy surgical fires continue to be an issue.  Please view Washington DC NBC 4 I-Team Investigation on surgical fire part 1.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/investigations/Patients-Report-Suffering-Severe-Burns-From-Fires-During-Surgery-370846391.html

Surgical fires continue to be an issue

i Jul 1st No Comments by

The University of Michigan known for their proactive approach to patient safety. The recent surgical fire at the University of Michigan only confirms that further vigilance and education is key to preventing surgical fires. It can happen to anyone at any facility training for all operating room staff is essential. Read article below of an another tragic fire for patient and staff.

1 injured, 7 others being evaluated after fire at U-M cardiovascular center

 

SurgicalFire.org featured in Modern Healthcare magazine

i Feb 11th No Comments by

SurgicalFire.org was honored to be interviewed by Modern Healthcare magazine for its article titled, Safety Advocates Push to Curb Hospital Surgical Fires, published in 2014. It was a Modern Health Care magazine article on surgical firecomprehensive look at fires in the operating room and what can be done to prevent them.

Articles like these draw attention to this important issue.  Please take a moment to read and determine if your organization can do more to prevent life-changing injury from preventable fires.  As a consumer, be sure to ask your health care providers about the risk of fire during your surgical procedure.

SurgicalFire.org is a partner of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Safe Use Initiative which collaborates with physicians, hospitals and ambulatory centers to prevent surgical fires.  To learn more, visit www.surgicalfire.org

It’s Fire Prevention Week…here’s a must-read

i Oct 6th No Comments by

October 5-11, 2014 is fire prevention week.

Take a moment to read Modern Healthcare’s excellent account of operating room fires and the chaotic scene that a brief lapse of vigilance can cause.

 

 

 

SurgicalFire.Org featured on America Now News

i Feb 8th No Comments by

Check out the video story on Surgical Fires by American Now:

AmericaNowNews.com

October 7th begins Fire Prevention Week!

i Oct 8th No Comments by

Oct. 7th begins fire prevention week ! Please read how Memorial Medical Center successfully implemented surgical fire assessment to their OR checklist.  Every OR, ambulatory center, and oral surgeons should be accountable and implement a fire risk assessment for every surgery, every patient, every time !

Read on…

Illinois Woman Dies After Catching Fire in Surgery

i Oct 4th No Comments by

FoxNews.com article regarding a woman who died after being severely burned while undergoing surgery A southern Illinois woman died after being severely burned in a flash fire while undergoing surgery, a rare but vexing problem in operating rooms. Janice McCall, 65, of Energy, Illinois, died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee, on Sept. 8, six days after being burned on the operating table at Heartland Regional Medical Center in Marion, Illinois, her family’s attorney said. Click here.

Operating room fires hurt hundreds each year

i Oct 4th No Comments by

Article from Today regarding Surgical Fires.  “Discuss risk of fire with your surgeon before an operation, Dr. Nancy Snyderman suggests.” Lauren Wargo’s surgery was supposed to be a simple procedure – just a quick operation to remove a mole from her face. But the operation went terribly wrong when the surgeon’s electro-cautery device sparked a fire that flashed over the 20-year-old woman, leaving her with second degree burns on her face and much of her neck.Click Here

Surgical Fires Pose A Danger To Patients

i Oct 4th No Comments by

A story about a 7 year old who caught fire during a routine surgery.  From CBS’s Dallas Fort Worth affiliate . Click Here

Report: NYC man set on fire during tracheotomy surgery

i Oct 4th No Comments by

CBS News article regarding a New York City man burned during surgery at Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx. Click here